Thursday, October 6, 2011

Smells

Isn't it amazing how a single smell can take you away. Back to where you once were, good, bad, or indifferent.

My daughters came home today from the neighbors who have a wood burning stove. Because it is snowing like November outside today, they had the stove roaring. I was able to have a few moments with my girls, before heading to my second job. As I was sitting on the couch just snuggling them I was soaking in the wonderful scent of a wood burning stove, and relishing those thoughts and memories of my childhood.

As I was growing up, we always had a wood burning stove. Actually my parents have a custom, handmade stove that they received for a wedding gift I believe. I love that stove, so much that seeing as they have decided on a permanent vacation in the Islands I have request ownership of said stove. I wish that I could install it in my current home, but we lack the space. So I have a special spot already planned for it, in the dream home we hope to build someday on our 20 acres.

Anyways, I always loved how in the cold months that stove made our house a home. It was warm and comforting. Often I would play, color, or curl up right by that stove. I loved watching my dads ritual of cleaning the stove. I have fond memories of going into the woods as a family to cut wood. I never had to work, I explored. One of my favorite pastimes, exploring the woods.

We used to dry our boots, mittens, everything by the stove. I loved, at night right before bed, standing by the stove soaking in as much warmth as possible and running to bed taking the heat of the stove with you.

As much as I love the Ocean, as much as I love my parents Island. I could never not snowing falling and a warm fire to sit by. It was how I was raised and it is something I truly do love. This is why I need to win the lottery, build that dream house and have a cabana by the ocean too!

For now, I will have to visit the neighbors.

No comments: